Sunday, October 2, 2011


September 28, 2011
I just went apartment hunting and felt as if I were part of the HGTB program “My First Place”.  Well, apartment number one was eliminated almost from the get go when I noticed that it was located on the sixth floor and I had to board an ancient, rickety elevator only capable to holding four people. My claustrophobia kicked in immediately and then the thought of having to go up all those stairs when the power was out made me say no even before I saw the place. The building was in disrepair as I was informed that once the state sold the units to private parties, there has been no organized effort to set up an association that could  collect fees for the maintenance of the exterior and the common areas. As a result, the stairs are full of dust and cobwebs and the entrance looks as it had been bombed sometime ago. The unit in itself was well-lit and somewhat spacious, but I knew it wasn’t for me. 

On to the second one, which was much bigger and lighter, but it would be occupied until October first. I was trying to find a vacant place to move into it today since the one I’m occupying sits on a very busy street where cars and trucks rumble by all day long. At the last unit, it seemed promising as the area was quieter and the owners had invested in it even including a microwave. 

When I expressed an interest in it, the owner mentioned she had another unit nearby which she was in the process of renovating and it was only a few minutes away. On we went to a fifth floor walk up, the advantage is that I would have no one walking over my head, and I was immediately impressed with the fancy door they had installed and once inside it was a dream come true. The owners had apparently gutted the place down to the hardwood floors and installed new fixtures, cabinets, carpets, stove and even screening on all windows. I didn’t have to think about it for even a minute. She is charging $500.00, to be paid in dollars, and wants three months paid advance. I told her I was ready to move in that minute even though she has yet to buy a mattress, bring in the fridge, microwave and dining room. I’m not concerned about that since my priority is getting a quiet place to sleep.  Hopefully, Tashmina can arrange for a driver or taxi to take me there this afternoon. I can’t wait to finally unpack my bags and make myself comfortable.

I was informed today that I won’t be able to have Internet access until I have been registered with the local authorities, a practice reminiscent of the Soviet era when anyone from another province or country needed to register with the local police before being able to move about. Although Tajikistan separated from the Soviet Union in 1991, it must have found this practice to be quite lucrative as it continues today. The visitor needs to present two passport size photos, proof of not being HIV positive and the proper visa along with a fee ranging from 45-60 U.S. dollar to the OVIR(Office of Visitors Immigration Registration).

No comments:

Post a Comment