Monday, October 31, 2011

October 31, 2011
As adage goes: “Careful what you wish for. You might get it.” My wish for a lot of rain that would remove the tons of layers of dust has become a reality or maybe a nightmare as I encountered another day of rain, packed trolleys and muddy streets. Took a taxi to make it to work on time and found out I’ve been assigned to another class. A student kept staring out the window and refused to make eye contact with me. When given the assignment, she didn’t take out her notebook or pen. The student in front of me kept lowering his eyes and wrote nothing or answered any questions. This is the class of third year students about to begin their practicum in two weeks and they can’t utter a complete sentence in English. A 90 minute class can seem to last an eternity under these conditions. I thought I had another class immediately thereafter, but was informed the class had already left. Had my usual soup and salad combination at the Russian restaurant and ran into Zainura, who seems to be a regular there, and discussed possibly getting together next Saturday.


                                                   Tajik couple

Following Peter’s suggestion that I try to get funding to buy my students a regular English grammar textbook, printed in either the United States or England, and do away with stilted Russian one they do have, I walked to the only bookstore in town that stocks this type of material. I settled for the Headway student workbook for beginners as it contains lots of colorful illustrations and comes with a CD for listening activities. It only costs 36.00 somonis or about $13.00 each and they could have the entire order ready for me to pick up in 2-3 days. While there, I was approached by a young woman who wanted to practice her English. She gave me her business card and promised to help find someone to design and print one for me.

The seamstress finally had my outfit ready and a skirt I had given her to shorten. It had only taken her three weeks to complete the task.

Desperate for the use of a bathroom, called Caroline and found out she was just reaching home at that moment. We both had received a call that morning from Tahmina inviting us to a Halloween party at one of the embassy employee’s home who was hosting the children participating in the MultiKids program. I had declined thinking I’d be teaching at the time, but also because I was not familiar with the location and didn’t feel like venturing out there in the rain. Caroline had the same feelings and so we went back to my apartment so she could have some of the plov and apple pie Mariam had made the day before. It was the perfect afternoon to spend it chatting over apple pie and coffee. Although Peter had promised to join us, he called saying he had to work late.

Spent the rest of the evening secluded in the living room, the warmest part of the apartment, until it was time for bed. I’ve been unable to watch the news, the only program I can find, since the rain started on Friday. I only have access to it through the satellite system and it plain does not like rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment