Friday, May 25, 2012


May 25, 2012
Managed to sleep until after six despite waking up numerous times throughout the night. I cleaned my kitchen and set outside the trash to be dumped on my way out. I had noticed that someone had picked up all the trash on the left side of my building that had accumulated through the winter, so I must walk across the street to the rubbish bin to dispose of it.

I continued to work on my final report to Georgetown University as they recommended we write it while still at post so memories and details are fresh. Although I can always rely on my blog entries to refresh my memory, I figure I’m better off spending the time now and not postponing it as 5% of my grant is being withheld until the report is received. It contains a scathing report on the diploma mill I was posted to and all the indignities I suffered at the hands of its administrators and professors.

On a whim, I decided to get some fresh air and after coloring my hair, walked toward the American Corner carrying my big canvas bag with all the books I’m donating. While taking the shortcut to get there, I ran into Maryam who was returning from the market with two heavy bags herself. I tried to communicate my imminent move from the building and how I wanted to cook dinner for her family at least once. The language barrier is too great between us and I promised to have one of my students call her with the information.

I got to the National Library, where the American Corner is now located, completely out of breath only to be told the building was currently closed. With no one around to tell me why, I called Bakhtyor several times, but he didn’t pick up. I was furious with myself for not having called him confirming he was there this morning. I stopped at the cafĂ© on the first floor and had some plov and salad for lunch. The place was quite busy with an almost even split between male and female diners, something unusual around here, and the place was airy, well-lit and spotlessly clean.






Went back to the apartment, took out the trash and plastic bottles accumulated for the last month and made more tea to sweeten with honey to sooth my sore throat. I called the coordinator for the summer camp in Khorog, who hadn’t replied to my two emails, and asked him for the details. He’s apparently not much into computers, but will try to email me the pertinent details on lodging, meals and transportation.

I got hold of Mr. Boron and asked him to come by tomorrow to pick up the books I had set aside for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment