Thursday, May 10, 2012


May 10, 2012
Having taken two Benadryl pills the night before allowed me to sleep much better. The curtains in the living room were fluttering lightly indicating that rain was approaching and I needed to dress appropriately to visit the Access students’ summer camp. By the time nine o’clock rolled around, it was raining cats and dogs and I called Tahmina to ask her to drive up to my building to pick me up as I was not willing to stand at the curb waiting for her under that deluge. She did just that and brought along the certificates already signed by Sandy.

We drove to the camp under heavy rain and arrived as the students were participating in simulacrum of going through the stages needed to travel to the United States from the visa review to going through security. I got to chat with Tahmina while the students completed the process and I couldn’t help but mention the bribe-taking scheme at the PedInst and how angry students were at having to pay each professor 40-50 somoni per exam. She didn’t bat an eye and only added that such payment would be considered peanuts when compared to what other students pay at the Technological or Medical University. She explained that in the past, failing students would place such payment in an envelope and deliver it to the professor or dean through a secretary or other underling, but they would not accept the payment directly from the student. I took it she meant the old system was better because it seemed less crass, but not because it was unethical or ruinous for the students.

I met another teacher, Reese, who’s from the state of Washington and graduated from the same university I did, class of 2000. There was another guy from Switzerland who came up with an interesting PowerPoint presentation asking Amin questions about his impending trip to the United States, some of which were quite thoughtful and Amin had no answers for them. Tahmina insisted we drive back to Dushanbe by noon and so we didn’t get to stay for lunch. Both the Swiss guy and Amin hitched a ride with us as they both needed to run errands in the city. I promised Deborah that Corrie and I would return on Saturday and carry out some activity with the students. She does have a full calendar, so I want to observe what they have planned anyway.

When I checked my cell phone close to noon, I saw I had a text message from my counterpart at the PedInst, Nigora, notifying me I was supposed to be there at 1:00pm to take part in the testing of the students. I replied that I was in Varzob and unable to get there in time and that she should have notified me earlier. I was also wearing jeans, t-shirt and my TEVA sandals and couldn’t show up in such garb at the university anyway.



                                             Saying goodbye to Amin

It was still raining heavily when I got home and I prepared some leftovers for lunch. I didn’t feel like leaving my house again and texted Corrie to cancel our plans for Zumba lessons today and postpone them until Saturday when we’d be together anyway. I need to give my body a rest after going out three nights in a row.
 
Another student came by and told me more horror stories about payments and the unfair treatment students are subjected to at the PedInst. According to the schedule posted on the wall, he informed me I’m scheduled to be present for another exam on Saturday. I told him I never taught on Saturdays and therefore couldn’t have been scheduled to be present on such days. He feels the administration is just putting my name there as a formality to comply with the rules, but they’re probably happy I’m not able to attend these sessions so they can proceed with their bribe-taking scheme. He also felt it was not fair for the professors to pick questions randomly from a 400-page book that had not been covered in class and then ask for money to give the student a passing mark.

Nigina emailed me to invite me out to dinner tomorrow, but I’d rather stay home. I offered to make chili con carne and white rice and she agreed to come over instead. That means an early trip to the market tomorrow if the rain ever lets up.

No comments:

Post a Comment