Sunday, May 20, 2012


May 20, 2012
What I had taken to be mosquito bites has erupted into angry blisters covering most of my legs, my abdomen and back and I concluded I had been attacked by an army of bedbugs while sleeping on the korpachas at Zoir’s house. They had now swollen to the point of protruding through my clothing and itching like hell every time I tossed around in bed. I had taken three Benadryl tablets the night before to fight off the bad reaction, but they were even bigger this morning and the thought of wearing anything next to my skin made me cringed. I called Ryan to see if he was interested in looking at my condition, but he was on his way to a resort and only promised to come by on his return.

I called Zoir to find out how he was faring and he said he was fine and ready to come by and pick up the materials to take to the PedInst. When he didn't show up after a couple of hours, I called him again and found out he had felt ill and was at the hospital waiting to be seen by a doctor. I'm beginning to think that something is seriously wrong with him.

I had promised to stop by Hillary’s birthday celebration, a brunch hosted by an embassy guy living alone in a huge house not too far from my house. The only suitable thing to wear was the Tajik atlas dress Takhmina had given me as it didn’t constrict me in any way. When I showed Hillary and some of the female guests the state of my legs, they all let out a gasp. Mike, the host, offered some unguent he had in his bathroom, a huge room with a whirlpool tub and a massage shower. The unguent had hydrocortisone in it, but did little to remove the itch. Rebecca prepared mimosas and I had two of those while turning down the bloody maries Hillary had prepared along with the pancakes, crepes, black bean soup and other dishes people kept bringing in.

Someone had the idea of sitting outside under the pergola beginning to provide some shade under the grape vines. The front yard was gorgeous with even green grass and a border of roses in a variety of colors. Mike said I could take some home, but I forgot at the moment of my departure as Aireen had called to say she was sending a taxi for me so I could get to her house for her younger daughter’s birthday party. She lives in apartment complex not too far from Zoir’s but much better maintained. The group of Access students she teaches were the only ones present in addition to her three teenage children. The rest of the Filipino gang had gone with Ryan to Romit and the atmosphere was somewhat cheerless.

There was some dancing by the students, singing by Carmela and lots of food of which I ate none since my appetite had practically disappeared. Her son accompanied me to get a taxi and I ran into Dagma just coming in. She claimed to have been working all day and regretted not having had a chance to attend Hillary’s birthday celebration.

I tried calling Ryan late in the evening to see if he was still planning on coming by and inspect the disastrous state of my body, but he didn’t pick up. I also called Zoir and he informed me the hospital didn't have a doctor available to see him today and he had no plans to go back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment