Wednesday, March 7, 2012


March 7, 2012
Surprisingly enough, I seemed to have slept through the entire night, or at least until 5:00am when the cats started to prowl outside my door. I had decided already to pack up everything this morning and take my stuff home so that I’d have less to carry in the afternoon. It has snowed overnight, not more than 3-4 inches, but enough to cover the tree branches and the top of cars and buildings. Fortunately for me, the temperature was not low enough for it to turn into ice. I took the mini-van lugging my laptop and clothing and went to my apartment where I prepared myself some muesli. I got caught up on my planning lesson process that I entirely forgot that I have a 9:30am class on Wednesdays and not at 11:00. The dean called me to remind that the students were waiting for me. I didn’t get there until 10:15, feeling extremely embarrassed as this had never happened to me before.

The dean asked me wait for him in his office and then presented me with a toiletry kit as part of International Women’s Day, which is celebrated tomorrow and when the institute will be closed. Although I had planned to use the spare time to go make some copies, he ceremoniously brought out a huge cake and started to prepare tea for me and other female faculty members. Pariso, Mavluba and Nigora came in and were all presented with the same kit and plied with cake and tea. The dean mentioned his aunt had died of stomach cancer and she was only 57-58 years old. We discussed the petition of the teachers to switch the days the classes will be held and I promised to ask the Caritas group to change their days.

I had my usual bowl of soup and went to Caritas to find the office empty. I desperately needed to use their bathroom and went upstairs anyway. I then learned that the entire staff was enjoying a luncheon, prepared by the men, in honor of the women, all of whom had received flowers, chocolates and other presents. I was given a bouquet of tulips, a Tajik hat and some shish kabobs to take home as I could not possibly eat anymore.



             Flower bouquets awaiting buyers in celebration of International Women's Day

I stopped by the copy center to get a quote on printing a mini-book for the conversation class and requested a copy of the receipt that had been lost with my wallet. I encountered lots and lots of women walking around carrying flower bouquets, gift bags and even stuffed animals. I took the trolley back to Marydean’s house where I did the dishes, fed the cats, made the bed and then left to enjoy the peace and quiet of my lovely apartment. Ruth called to chit chat and finalize the details of her presentation on Saturday. Not a word from Corrie, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment