Saturday, March 10, 2012


March 10, 2012
Rain was clearly approaching as I walked to the American Corner. Doctors and nurses at the Gynecological Hospital were raking leaves and turning over the soil in preparation for the spring planting and so were the employees at the Natural Science Academy where the American Corner shares a space. Ruth was just approaching carrying a heavy bag with juices and cookies for the break. She did a presentation on children songs that could even be played with adults and the attendees were receptive enough to play along. The dean came in for about twenty minutes, enough to sign in and ensure he’ll get a certificate and then left supposedly for a conference where his presence was required, or so he said.


Raking leaves and preparing the soil for the spring planting.


                                 Workshop attendees for the songs in the classroom session.

Munisa called to confirm she’d be joining Ruth and I for lunch and I suggested we go to the Lebanese restaurant nearby instead of going back to the Uyghur’s restaurant we had visited last week. We went across the street to use Ruth’s bathroom and I saw that she was paying $550.00 for a smaller place than my own with no washing machine, a small, old TV set and no dining room. True, her location is much more desirable than mine, but I still feel I have a much more upscale and pleasant flat. Ruth doesn’t cook at all, so it doesn’t bother her that the fridge is the size we normally see in hotel rooms. Munisa was waiting in front of the American Corner and we proceeded to Al Sharma where we found the place completely empty. The hummus and baba ganoush, while prettily served, had no flavor whatsoever and the pita bread was nowhere to be seen. Instead, we got large round pieces of flat bread that had been heated in a plastic bag in the microwave. I ordered spicy fries that came overly salty, but not particularly spicy.

Both Munisa and Ruth ordered shish kebabs, beef and lamb, and we shared those. The meal was palatable, but not remarkable. I walked Ruth back to her flat and then went to a nearby bakery to buy some pastries to take to my student’s house where I have been invited tomorrow for dinner or lunch, I’m not quite sure. It was a relief to go back to my apartment and know that no one was scheduled to come by. I made a big mug of coffee and deeply enjoyed the solitude of my place.


                                                     Ruth, our newest Fulbrighter

My sister called me on Skype and we spent a couple of hours catching up on the latest happenings including her becoming a grandmother for the first time. My mom continues to be cranky and my sister is making plans to have her move from her house to a small apartment in Miami. I hope this goes smooth as I know how difficult my mother can be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment