Tuesday, March 20, 2012


March 20, 2012
As expected, I had no running water this morning. The snow, hanging on to the branches of the tree outside my window, was still so thick that I couldn’t look down below to appraise the situation on the ground. I immediately made up my mind to call the PedInst and inform them I wasn’t coming for just one class. I called Nigora at 8:30am and she agreed to notify the dean.

I emailed Takhmina at Caritas International to let her know our class was off. Khurshed called me about an hour later to tell me the women in the office had taken the day off, but he and Furkat were there and he was willing to make the trip to my flat to replace the burned outlet. While I was very grateful for his offer, I told him not to worry about it for now as he couldn’t make it down the hill to my place anyway. We agreed to get it done after Navruz and I wished all of them a happy holiday.

Elbek came by with his flashdrive to transfer a program that would allow me to watch some movies already on my hard drive, but it didn’t work.

I got the expense report done and finished a long letter for my friend Stephanie. The living room was picked up, trash disposed of, and emails answered.

Tahmina, at the embassy, informed me the English Teacher Mentor program has been scheduled for April 23-25 and a meeting was needed to work out the details of our participation in it.

Temperatures must have risen considerably for I could hear chunks of snow precipitously falling from the roof, scaring the heck out of me. Rebecca told me sumalak, I’m not sure how to describe this concoction, will be stirred or cooked at the American Councils beginning at 4:30pm on Thursday. I hope to get a haircut that same day as the temperatures are supposed to go up to the 50s.

No comments:

Post a Comment