Tuesday, March 27, 2012


March 27, 2012
More beautiful weather was on the way and I felt brave enough to shuck off my coat and only wear my black sweater. I remembered to pack the gifts for Khurshed and the driver along with the teaching materials needed for the day. It seemed like the perfect day to play hooky. I decided to have the interpreter group practice writing a resume and a cover letter given the fact that they’ll be graduating soon, something Ruth is also having her students do. They had never heard of a cover letter and only had the faintest idea as to what the resume should include. I listed at least ten items on the board in the order they should be included, but that was of no help for some of them who couldn’t even write their home address. The cover letter was a total fiasco as they had no idea even how to start one. I’m providing a sample of each tomorrow hoping they can at least ape them. We then played a round of Taboo to relax them a bit.

Erech, the student arranging the transportation and lodging for the trip to Khulob, came by and I asked him to have his friend come by so I could take a look at the vehicle and driver that are going to take us there next month. He looked perplexed, but I told him I needed to make sure the car was in good condition and the driver safe. He promised to bring him along tomorrow.

The soup place was back in business and I had my usual bowl of soup while trying to read one of the books Stephanie sent me. When I got to Caritas, only Takhmina was present, but she informed me everybody else was on his/her way. I showed her the presents I had selected for the guys and she approved of them. When the gang was back together, we played several rounds of Taboo and also a game of idioms for which I had to provide most of the answers as they were woefully inadequate in this area. Khurshed and the driver indicated they liked their presents, and we discussed having our potluck lunch very soon.

If it weren’t because I was still carrying a heavy bag plus my school bag, I’d have walked back to the house as the day was just perfect: not too cool or warm, a soft breeze floating around and the bluest skies possible. I finally got some tuna fish at the supermarket to add it to the macaroni and cheese package Nancy had given me weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment