Friday, March 2, 2012


March 2, 2012
The new set of students that have been assigned to me at the PedInst must think I’m slightly crazy as I can’t keep them straight and never know from day to day what group will show up. I’m not planning on making an emotional investment in these students knowing full well that I’ll be out of here in just a few months. I’ve taken to just asking each group to point out what we did the last time I saw them and take it from there.

The interpreters’ group told me today that they pay $850.00 per year in tuition and are quite aware that they haven’t received the preparation necessary to actually be able to get a job interpreting anywhere. Their vocabulary is extremely low and they are using the same Russian grammar textbook as the future teachers to learn English. I mentioned to them that the language contained in it was simply old fashioned and not relevant to the medical, legal or technical areas they might be required to work in. I promised to try and get some transcripts of actual conversations in those fields so they at least have an idea of what is awaiting them.

Visited the soup place one more time and then decided to walk all the way to the copy place where I had left my JumpDrive the previous day. Nigina had been kind enough to send me a text message informing me about it. The weather was beautiful and felt almost warm enough to shuck off my coat. I went back to my apartment to pick up everything I’d need for tomorrow’s presentation including the handouts, laminated cards, tea kettle, snacks and the Forum magazines to distribute to the teachers. As I was making my way to Marydean’s house, a young Tajik man insisted on helping me with my two bags. At first, I was reluctant to do so not wanting to invite more awkward conversations, but my fingers hurt and so did my back and I relented. He had the usual request, could I teach him English? I tried the best I could to tell him I trained teachers and didn’t teach students, but I don’t think he understood the distinction. I referred him to the American Corner and could see his frustration as he wanted private lessons instead. I simply can’t help everyone that crosses my path.

I spent the rest of the evening preparing for the presentation. Ryan emailed to confirm we’ll have lunch tomorrow instead of Sunday and I informed him that Ruth would come along. Sandy is having a party at her house tomorrow to celebrate her birthday, but I’ll skip it. Not in the mood to deal with embassy people yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment