Saturday, March 24, 2012


March 23, 2012
I was granted the perfect day to go out there and take care of all my errands. At the first stop, I paid my electric bill while trying to avoid the huge puddles of water gathering on the sidewalks and even in the streets with potholes galore. The gurgling sounds of snow being melted followed me everywhere. I then walked to the Sarbarh Bazaar and was able to find two different shaving kits, both made in Russia, to give to Khurshed and the driver who so gracefully repaired the electrical problem in my living room. Continued on to the Ziloni Bazaar where I purchased way too many things: beef with short ribs still attached, carrots, potatoes, onions, cilantro, red beans and lentils, salami and cheese along with some lemons. The bag became unbearable to carry it in my hand as the handles were cutting into my fingers. Sweating buckets, I managed to make it home where I took a rest before heading out again to pick up the lamination materials left there the day before only to find some self-righteous guy there who tried to lecture me about not being able to speak Russian. I picked my materials and the receipt and left in a huff. Took the trolley to the copy center and noticed many families making their way to the botanical gardens where employees were hell bent on getting rid of the snow that still cluttered the walkways.

The copy center was closed, so I retraced my steps to the PedInst intending on having lunch at the usual soup place and then hopping on a mini-van to go to the embassy. But there was no soup to be had as the place was also closed. I tried one more place, the Russian cafeteria around the corner, but with the same results. I got on the mini-van hoping to find something to eat the cafeteria at the embassy, which is ran by a guy from India, but the food still has no flavor. We went past the national stadium and found huge crowds of people milling around apparently trying to get in while police circle around it. I found a stand where a woman was selling small sambusas and decided to have two of them and perhaps a cup of coffee at the embassy. As I was approaching the building, I realized I had switched to my purse for the weekend and my badge had been left in my school bag. I had to go through screeners and wait for Tahmina to send someone to get me before I could go inside.

I told Tahmina I wanted to copy the handout for the teachers attending the workshop this Saturday and she replied their printer was out of service. Jennifer, the most helpful person to work at that place, informed me that if I could come up with the originals, she’d run copies for me upstairs. Tahmina told me, for the first time, that I wasn’t allowed to plug my JumpDrive into any computer at the embassy although I had done exactly that almost every time I had visited the place. Jennifer countered by saying she’d not inquire as to where I got my copies if I were able to get them. I went to see Vali and cash a check for my rent and then on to the mail room to send Stephanie a couple of letters and my expense report as well. I popped into an office, used my JumpDrive and copied the documents needed so Jennifer could make the required copies. While she did so, I went to the cafeteria and had a really gross cup of burnout coffee with cold milk.

I retrieve the handouts and got in a #8 mini-van. When the driver inquired as to my final destination and I told him, he returned my fare and told me to find another one as he was only going to the center of town. The next mini-van driver couldn’t understand my pronunciation of my destination until the passenger next to him clarified it. He motioned for me to get in while two young women snickered next to me as if I were an idiot and couldn’t understand they were talking about me. When this driver got to the Tsum Department Store, he also told me he wasn’t going my way and returned half of the fare. I was livid as at this point, I was pretty tired and the thought of having to walk another 4-5 blocks didn’t appeal to me. At least, the weather had been pleasant enough that I was wearing my Teva sandals and my feet were not protesting.


                            Children bundling the fallen branches to use or sale, not sure.


                              Branches from this tree fell down under the weight of the snow.

I decided to make one last sacrifice and stopped at the Poitak Supermarket on my way home to buy the few items I still needed, eggs, juice, and milk, to insure that come Sunday, I’d have no need to step outside my flat. Yoomie had called while I was bound for the embassy to say she needed to come by my place. I texted her letting her know I was now home, but she never replied. I went to bed very early knowing the driver was coming to pick us up at eight the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment