Tuesday, November 22, 2011

November 22, 2011
After many emails and phone calls from personnel at the embassy, an official orientation meeting is to take place tomorrow at the American Corner. We also received an official invitation to attend Thanksgiving dinner at someone’s house who also works for the embassy. I can’t wait to find out what kind of food they can get over here. When I arrived at the PedInst, I looked for the dean to remind him of my being absent on Thursday, but his door was locked. Went to Pariso’s classroom and there was a substitute there instead. My 101 group, the one I only see once a week, and the largest, still had some students who had not received their textbooks. Many expressions of disbelief at not having to pay for it and many, many thanks for being able to write in it and have the CD available to play at home. Students are getting into the rhythm of the book and now even predict when they need to listen and then repeat.

One of the male teachers walked in to tell me that group 113, again, didn’t have a teacher and would I combine both classes. I agreed to do so for the next period even though I knew I didn’t have enough chairs as they students said they’d bring chairs from another classroom. There was total confusion then as to who should stay and who should leave as there weren’t enough chairs to be found. Some students chose to leave. One of those who stayed told me they had been at school since 9:00am and were simply starving and ill-humored by then. I really don’t know or understand why these students end up with no teachers so often. The combined class was a bit rowdy, but manageable. We played the “Name Game” at the end and talked a bit about practicing vocabulary on a regular basis.

Zohir approached me as I was leaving to ask me, for the umpteenth time, what he could do to improve his English. I tried to be diplomatic about the fact that he doesn’t have enough vocabulary to carry on a conversation and mentioned there was a possibility that Caroline might work at the American Councils and help him build up his stock of words. He seemed disappointed for I know he wants me to take up the challenge of turning him into a fluent English speaker practically overnight.

Tajiks are very proud of having erected the largest flag to be flown from the tallest flagpole in the world. Do they really think tourists will flock here for the chance to have their picture taken next to it? I don’t think so. That money could have been better spent in updating the infrastructure of the country for the benefit of all its citizens and even visitors like me.

                                                         
                                                    Largest flag in the world

I walked home following my new route and it took me about 35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment