Saturday, November 12, 2011

November 12, 2011
 I had planned to do my market shopping early in the day and then got a call from Ryan to join him for lunch at his place. He prepared another beef soup with a Filipino-style fried rice that had lots of garlic in it. Caroline called at that point as she was standing at my apartment knocking on the door. She joined us for lunch and then convinced me to join Corrie and Peter in welcoming Elisabeth, our newest ELF. I had previously declined as still felt very tired and just wanted to go back to my place and relax. The F1 cafeteria was hosting a private lunch and was thus not an option. We settled for the pizza place as it was a gorgeous day and we could sit outside and avoid the smokers. Elisabeth is a middle-age woman, originally from Pittsburg, PA, who has already done one year as an ELF in Indonesia. She is going to be teaching English at the Magistrate Offices. My cup of coffee was the usual instant variety with clumps of powder milk still floating in it.

Peter kept bringing up the idea of finding a way to get to Iran even if the embassy does not lend full support to the plan. We proceeded to the market where Elisabeth was absolutely mesmerized by the faces of the female vendors, the variety of fruits and vegetables and my comical way of purchasing items using a variety of sign language, English and Russian/Tajik. She struck a conversation with a stall owner who is currently studying at the PedInst and is in his fifth year. He’ll start his practicum in a couple of months he said.

                                                     
                                                          Shopping at the Green Market

We said goodbye as she was going to see an apartment. I got on the wrong mini-van with my overflowing shopping bag where a dozen eggs sat precariously on top. Seeing the driver turned into some unknown street, I asked him if he was going toward “Shotemur Street” and the guy replied in English that he was heading toward the airport. My relief must have been palpable for he smiled widely and told me he was going to show me where to get off and take the same number mini-van in the opposite direction. So it happened that all his passengers exited the vehicle before he got to the airport and he offered to take me back, but would not accept any payment from me. He told he spent four years living in Brooklyn and was delighted to be able to speak English again.  He plans to return to the States at some point. On the way back, I saw a large group of people in front of what looked like a regular residence, but the driver informed me this was a funeral home and a viewing was in progress. Tokhir and I exchanged numbers and he offered to help me in whatever way he could.

Eggs got broken in transit and the bag was way too heavy for me even carrying it in my arms as a baby. I tried to buy everything I needed so as to be able to stay home tomorrow and relax if you could call it that as I’m cooking since Peter was given some meat by one of his students, most likely lamb, and he does not know what to do with it. I declined Corrie's offer to meet at the Chinese restaurant inside the Tajik Hotel for dinner with another American friend. I'm very tired and 7:00 is relatively late for me these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment