Saturday, November 19, 2011

November 18, 2011
I got a call at 11:00am from one my students in the 113 group informing me that they were free at that time and would I come and teach them English then. I don’t know how this student got hold of my mobile number, but the answer was a rotund “no” as I had just taken a shower and needed time to dress and travel there. My first class was not due to start until 1:25pm. Stopped at the underpass shopping complex to get a copy of my classroom key so I could return the original to the dean. I then stopped at the bookstore where they had given me the wrong teacher’s manual book. The clerk said he didn’t have a copy of the appropriate one and couldn’t order one without the approval of his manager. I’m to stop by tomorrow to know the verdict. I’m afraid the manager will say no and won’t even reimburse me for the expense.


                                                 The magnificent Opera Ballet Theater

When I got to the PedInst, the students approached me once again to teach them at 1:25 instead of 3:15 so they could go home earlier. I told them group 111 was scheduled for a back-to-back class and were already waiting for me. The student then suggested that I combined both classes to which I replied my classroom could barely contain the 21 students in group 111. The dean came by then and heard the request. Since he has no way idea as to what my teaching schedule is, he suggested I teach then the next period. At the end, when 3:15 came around, the students were gone, as it appears they had had no teachers all afternoon, and I got to leave early.

Corrie had invited all ELFs to her new apartment for dinner and I begged her to let me come earlier as I desperately needed to use her bathroom. On the way there, I stopped at a copy center Peter had recommended where they have newer equipment and charge only 30 dirams per page. The pregnant receptionist was very cordial and said I could print directly from my JumpDrive, which was a relief.
Corrie’s flat is located on the third floor of an older building and although it lacks in some modern appliances such as a microwave and something as practical as a bathroom sink, it has the advantage of being located a block from Rudaki Avenue and across the street from two supermarkets. After relieving my bladder and having a bite to eat, I had skipped lunch, I mentioned the need to obtain cornstarch for a persimmon tart I’m planning on baking on Sunday. One of the supermarkets had it and the other had powdered vanilla and confectioner’s sugar. Her intent was to offer us something similar to fajitas, but the meat was tough, the vegetables overcooked and the flat bread that served as tortillas too chewy. I had purchased a piping hot flat bread on the way back to her house and almost ate the whole thing by myself. She had also made oatmeal cookies with Nutella or strawberry jam in the center. They were delicious.

Caroline had her Skype call with Harry, our RELO, to determine if another post could be found for her and they reached a suitable agreement, so it seems she’s going to stay with us for the long run. Corrie, whose grandparents were Mennonites, started to show us how to play a game of cards with special cards they had designed as they considered the regular ones to be sinful. We played one round to learn the game and when we were ready for the second one, Elisabeth asked Corrie to allow her to check her email as she has not been willing to buy her own modem. Once online, Elisabeth proceeded to read each one aloud and add comments so as to let us know how much in demand she was already in the community. She was trying to pressure the group into committing to travel to Khorog for the Thanksgiving weekend even when we hadn’t had a chance to discuss the trip. What a boor!

It was almost 9:00 by the time we left and pouring rain again. We chose to go into a shared taxi. Elisabeth was trying to convince Caroline that the two of them could share her apartment as it is quite large and she’s hardly ever there.

No comments:

Post a Comment