Sunday, April 22, 2012


April 22, 2012
I tried at best I could to multitask today and get as much done as possible before the storm of the ETM begins. The only thing I failed to do was go grocery shopping and my fridge only contains a few onions, potatoes and carrots along with a carton of juice and milk. I cooked the remaining eggs with the leftover salami and had that for both lunch and dinner. Muesli was good enough for breakfast and I munched on the pistachios I forgotten I had bought months ago.

Maryam came in to show me how far along she was in making my outfit for Wednesday. She complained the three meters of fabric were barely enough to make short sleeves for it and the pants would have to sit low on my waist. I couldn’t understand how someone so short as I am needs the same three meters of fabric as an average height woman and then there isn’t enough of it to go around. She made the neckline the way I wanted it and I kissed her on both cheeks to let her know how pleased I was. I appreciate her spending her Sunday on this task and will compensate her accordingly.

It was Caroline’s birthday and I posted a message on her FB page in Spanish. She responded by stating her confidence in my ability to pull off the ETM without a glitch. I emailed Peter to see if a visit to Georgia would be possible in the next couple of months, but he indicated he was really busy and had observers coming from Georgetown to judge the progress of the program he’s working in. He proposed we try to meet in Istanbul in mid-July. We’ll see what my final itinerary looks like by the end of June before making any further plans.

I was able to put the finishing touches on the CD of children’s songs we are going to copy for the participants after Ruth offers her session on that topic. I was able to get the songs in alphabetical order so it’ll be easier for them to locate individual ones. I also emailed the Dean to ask permission to skip classes on the 30 of April so I can attend the closing session at the Teachers’ Training Center as Zulekho confirmed it for me. I also managed to do one load of laundry.

Maryam knocked on my door before 8:00pm and had my outfit finished. This was unbelievable as the quality was superb and it fit like a glove. She told today that she’s been sewing since she was thirteen years old. The total cost for a creation that took her all day: 75.00 somoni or less than $16.00. I’m delighted with my choice of fabric and felt privilege to know someone who’s such an artist with a needle.

I’m going to be a jumble of nerves until I’m able to see what Multikid has done to theconference room and whether all the supplies requested, including the essential laptop and LCD projector, are there when I show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment