Friday, April 20, 2012


April 20, 2012
I was glad to find that Corrie had followed through on her promise and had emailed the corrected schedule to me overnight so it could be sent to Aziza first thing in the morning. I finished sending the packet of vocabulary lists I’m putting together as a mini-booklet for the teachers and printed copies of the “Animal Habits” worksheets for the students in my two classes today. I stopped by the dean’s office to remind him I’d absent the first three days of next week and also to inquire as to the veracity of classes possibly ending next week. As usual, he didn’t know anything about the specific date when classes would be over and students go home to study for the final exams. He did say he was on his way to Khulob for a family wedding and wouldn’t return until Wednesday night. He promised to give me a call that evening and let me know. Then, as an afterthought, he added: “It’s too bad you’re always so busy; otherwise, we’d have invited you to one of our weddings.” And I said to myself: “I’ve been here for over six months and neither you nor any of the members of this institution has ever extended an invitation to me even for just a cup of tea.” I have to take that back as Mr. Boronov did have me over at his studio apartment even if it took five months for him to do so.

My second class only had eight students as a group of them had received a scholarship to travel to Estonia for an externship and had flown out early that morning. Eraj related that a group of them had accompanied the travelers to the airport and didn’t get home until the early morning. It occurred to me that with so few students and being a Friday, we could hold class in one of the roundabouts facing the street. The students were jubilant to be able to do so, but I decided to check with the dean first, who put up no obstacles. It felt great to be out in the warm air even when the students kept recognizing faces and saying hello to passersby. I even saw Jason, from Operation Mercy, go by and greeted him warmly. The students got into their role as animals to describe what their habits were like based on the habitat they occupy. It was about the perfect activity to have in the open air. We took numerous photos and one of the students offered to sew a Tajik outfit for me after I get the material tomorrow.

Corrie has agreed to go to the Khorbon Market with me after our meeting and I’m hoping to be able to buy a decent pair of sandals for the ETM along with some more fabric for at least three tunic/pants outfits. I also need a decent pair of black pants as the ones I brought no longer hug my curves the way I like them to do.
Aziza called while I was having my bowl of soup, and thinking she might have had questions regarding the materials I had sent her, I asked her to give me a chance to get home so I could have access to my computer. When I called her back, she told me the Poytakt Hotel had cancelled their contract to hold the ETM there, as they’re government owned, and decided to offer the venue to someone else. Manzura now wanted for me to join them in the search for another space suitable for the conference. I was not about to hit the pavement again and asked for transportation to do so. She said she’d get back to me, but didn’t do so. After a few hours, I called her again and she indicated Manzura was doing the search on her own and will have all three presenters look at the space tomorrow. I was also informed we now have 15 participants.

Jamshed called asking if could come by to get the conversation book I’d shown him earlier. We had coffee and talked about exploring the city together as he is rather bored at the institute and doesn’t have any close friend in the area. Per Caroline’s email, it appears that Jamshed burned his bridges to the Fulbright teacher exchange program when he failed to use the funds allocated to him to put on a local training session, a sort of pay-it-forward concept, and is now considered persona non-grata even in Qurgonteppa. When I asked him today why he had left his hometown, he just said he was bored. I need to exercise some caution here as I really don’t him from Adam.

It looks as if the ETM will be held at the UNESCO Building not too far from my house. Ruth called to confirm she was abreast of the latest developments. Eraj called and offered to accompany Corrie and me to the Khorbon Market so we aren’t overcharged for everything we buy. I don’t know how comfortable Corrie might feel browsing and trying clothes on while Eraj lurks nearby as the market doesn't offer dressing rooms.

 I finished printing the remaining vocabulary, glued the photos I’ll need to have laminated for the ETM, and put the finishing touches on the PPT. I only need one more PowerPoint presentation for Tuesday and should be sitting pretty from then on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment