Wednesday, December 28, 2011

December 28, 2011
I woke to more snow falling quietly on the ground. I decided right then and there to cancel my conversation class at the Caritas’ office. I texted Pariso to go ahead and make the trip to my apartment so we could discuss several issues still pending at the PedInst.

She braved the snow and came in with her socks almost soaked through as her boots are not waterproof. I lent her a pair while her own dried over my space heater. Pariso commented that she was here mostly to get her application completed for the teacher’s exchange program through the Fulbright office. My internet connection was slower than ever and I could not navigate the site. I had her call Megaphon to see if by any chance I had exhausted my funds and they said not, to just unplug the modem, wait five minutes and plug back in. It made no difference whatsoever. I’ll try to do the research for her in the next few days.


                                             
                                                  Snowy view in my neighborhood

While she was here, she got a call from Polyglot, the language institute where I have been scheduled to take language lessons, but haven’t gotten around to. Pariso jumped at the chance of teaching me privately since she’s work for this institute in the past and swears they don’t offer group lessons as I had expected, but individual ones as needed. We agreed on a rate of $8.00 an hour and I emailed Caroline to borrow her Tajik book for a while as I know she’s not making any use of it. She promptly said yes.

I still don’t have running water and went downstairs to check with my neighbor Maryam and confirmed she does have running water. I sent an email to Dilya so she can contact my landlady. It’s been more than a week since the pipes froze and the temperatures have risen to 48 degrees. I can’t see any reason as to why I still don’t have but a trickle of water.

I got a call from one of my students at the PedInst who is currently working at a school and she invited me to visit her school tomorrow. I thought for sure all schools would be closed by now. I’ll try to make it there after my conversation class.

No comments:

Post a Comment