Tuesday, December 13, 2011

December 13, 2011
The power went out while I was cooking my muesli this morning. I then remembered that I had the kerosene balloon Jamshev had brought me last week and with the matches Mariam provided, I was able to finish cooking it.

                                           Collection of colorful traditional hats

Mr. Boroni was out this morning and I was able to use the classroom with the whiteboard. The students complained that it was cold and they’d much rather remained in other classrooms where the teachers have their own space heater, but I didn’t relent. After my second class, Mr. Boroni came in and said his father was in failing health even though he’s only 55 years old.

I tried to use the bathroom on all three floors and they were all locked. I didn’t think I could last until I got to the embassy that afternoon and went looking for Pariso to help gain access to one of them. She didn’t believe me when I told her there was a faculty bathroom on the second floor where we teach and had to take her there myself. She was told the bathroom was only for the School of Economics’ faculty members and to go talk to the dean. A most disagreeable guy, who didn’t bother to look in my direction, indicated that giving me a key to the bathroom was entirely out of the question, but directed his deputy dean to let me in when I need to use it. This bathroom even had water and thus could be flushed.

When done with my classes, I proceeded to the embassy to meet with Sandy, who had emailed me demanding that I pay my half of her driver’s fee for the ride to Qorgunteppa on Saturday. I went to see the cashier first, but he was out to lunch and Tahmina told me she and Sandy were leaving the office in 15 minutes for a meeting with the MultiKids group. When I sat down with Sandy, she dropped a bombshell by telling me that Elisabeth had submitted her resignation that morning. She also requested that I pay an additional 100.00 somoni to her driver as Linda, Peter’s supervisor, was covering the rest of his fee. I agreed to do so as long as I could get a receipt to submit for reimbursement.   Jennifer had dropped a whole bottle of vanilla for me and Sandy asked me to share it with other ELFs. The only one that I know does some baking is Corrie.

I was able to cash a check when Vali returned from lunch, picked up a book from the library and a couple of recent Real Simple magazines. I was even able to print the handouts I needed for my class on Wednesday. The trip to the embassy was really worthwhile. Peter called while I was riding in the mini-van to let me know that he and Caroline were at Elisabeth’s flat having tea and to please come by. Elisabeth was burning some kind of Native American stick and it almost smelled as if they had been smoking marijuana. She made chai with real cardamom seeds brought from home and offered me a variety of pastries. I then got the full story of how she asked both her supervisors to come to her place for breakfast that morning and informed then she could not ethically work with the local KGB teaching them sentences such as “I’m going to break your arms.” and “You might never see your family again.” as she found the entire project way too sinister and could not abide the thought that our tax dollars were being employed to train military cadets in this field.

Elisabeth has been asked to leave the country within a couple of days, something she’s unwilling to do at this point. Caroline is thinking of moving into her apartment because it’s cheaper and Peter might have to give the cat back to Caroline if he’s unable to find a taker before December 24, his tentative date for flying out. Her place is really drafty and my feet were getting progressively colder when she offered me her recently acquired Pamiri boots made from wool and suitable for the unheated homes in the mountains. Out of curiosity, I asked her if she planned on taking them back and she said no, so I offered to buy them. She didn’t get around to buying many things in her five weeks in country, but I got a large zip lock bag, something you can’t find here, some red beans and a plastic container. Peter brought me some of his books and I was glad to see he had an additional Headway one that I could give to Nilufar so she doesn’t have to use mine.

I walked home loaded with all the stuff acquired during the day. There was still no power in my apartment, but the light was on in the landing. I knocked on Mariam’s door and explained the problem. She promptly went downstairs and showed me where the breakers were down, possibly because I had too many things on at the same time. I was so relieved. Nilufar came by to get her book and asked me how much it was going to cost her and I said nothing. She then insisted on vacuuming the hallway carpet, something I had neglected to do because I track in dirt every day with my boots and seems somewhat pointless to do it daily.

Pariso called to ask me to bring a copy of my passport so the landlady could finally write the letter of recommendation needed to complete my human resources’ file. What a nightmare this process has been! 

No comments:

Post a Comment