Monday, December 12, 2011

December 12, 2011
It started to snow the moment I got up, the wet snow that doesn’t stick around for long. Debated what to wear for a while and then went outside to face the elements. I stopped by the dean’s office to find out his decision regarding the whiteboard and classes for the teacher. He hadn’t made a decision and suggested I follow him to see the other dean. His door was locked and he promised me that at 12:30pm when I was finished with my class, he’d be in his office waiting for me so we talk to the other dean together.


The topic for today was “Thoughts on Family” and the students didn’t understand “having friends over at your place” or could not describe exactly what different family members did for a living. At the end of the class, and out of earshot of their teacher, they all indicated their hope of going to the United States to study or stay in the near future. I referred them to the American Corner to improve their English and mentioned the teacher mentoring program at the American Embassy.

The dean’s office was closed. I conscripted Pariso into taking me to the mysterious bathroom in the School of German on the third floor as I really needed to relieve myself. She was practically trembling with fear saying she had never heard of a bathroom for faculty members anywhere in the building. A male teacher was washing his hand when we walked in and she almost walked out afraid of being reprimanded for being there. I pressed on asked to find out if a key was needed to use this western-style toilet and he said and that we could secure the key and make a copy of it for our use. After he left, we both used the toilet, no water was available to flush it, but an empty bottle was placed nearby and we filled it at the sink and poured down the toilet. Let’s hope Pariso can locate the key so I can make a copy as it would greatly enhance my performance while at the institute.

I went across the street and saw diners eating something different and requested the same. It was the shorbot soup served on top of the buttery flat bread I’ve become addicted to, but just like the soup in itself, it was flavorless and a waste of the crispy bread. Something not to be tried again.

Out into the snow, I cancelled my plans to go shopping for the supplies needed for the upcoming workshop on Saturday and instead purchased various grocery items from vendors along my walk to board the mini-van. An empty one made a U-turn in front of me and for the first time, I got to see in the front seat.

Nilufar came for her first English class and it went rather well even though she recognizes fewer words than I expected given her previous study of the language. Peter emailed all of us to inform us his decision had been finalized and he was leaving the country having found no cooperation or support from the embassy personnel. He was asked again to pay his share of the taxi ride and he refused. I don’t know his departure date yet, but feel really saddened by this turn of events.

I got an email from Sandy informing me that I need to pay my full share of the amount due to the driver, her personal driver, as that was the amount agreed to in writing by the various people involved in the negotiations. I’ve a meeting schedule with her tomorrow and will discuss the issue then.

I just made a fantastic sauce for my penne rigatoni pasta: cubed salami with slices of eggplant, garlic, onion, hot pepper, tomato paste and oregano. The only thing missing, and something I cannot find here, some freshly ground Parmesan cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment