Wednesday, February 22, 2012


February 22, 2012
I hadn’t been at my computer for an hour when the power went out. I didn’t think much of it since it usually gets restored within the hour, but after about three hours I was beginning to feel really cold and miserable. I put on my coat and gloves and ventured into the landing where the light bulb was on thus confirming that only my unit was once again in the dark. I reviewed the breaker box and all the switches were on, but the box for my unit showed no activity whatsoever. Caroline and I were afraid that even if I had paid the bill the day before power had been cut nonetheless and she decided to call Dilya who could then call the landlady. As usual, my landlady refused to answer her phone and I asked her to please call the utilities guy who kindly had given us his phone number as reassurance that he’d be back with a receipt for my payment.

Four hours went by and when he came, there was no power in the entire building. I must have been running a low temperature by then and could not keep myself warm no matter what I did. The temperature outside couldn't have been higher than 20F. I kept my coat and gloves on as the guy told me hadn’t ordered my power supply cut off and handed me a properly stamped receipt contrary to the guy who came in December and disappeared with my payment. Nilufar happened to be on the steps and came up to say hello while I asked her to stay away as I was really sick and didn’t want to pass it on to her. She could see how frustrated and angry I was and returned with flat bread, a lemon, some cookies and muffins for me. It made me cry to see how much she and her mother care for me as she tried to cajole me into coming to their apartment to feel more comfortable, but I didn’t want to parade my sorry state around and remained in my flat.

Later on, Maryam came up herself bearing another bowl with raspberry jam and butter asking me to add it to my tea so as to feel better. I hadn’t even noticed that the power was back up until she turned on the lights in the hallway to show me. She gave me a big hug and asked again that I come downstairs for company, but that was the last thing I wanted to do. Instead, I caught up with my email and Facebook updates and even got to post the blogs I had been keeping while in Nepal, but which I hadn’t had a chance to post yet. Ruth called to tell me that students and teachers at her post simply loved her and were thrilled to have an American teacher in their midst while providing all photocopying for her. She thought I should consider moving to that institution forgetting that Georgetown doesn’t have an agreement with them.

Marydean called to confirm my return and set up a time to show me her house. She informed that nine inches of snow had fallen the previous day and offered to come pick me up on Saturday at 10:00am to take me to her house.

Caroline came back in the evening with the grocery items I had requested and some shorbot soup Madluba had sent me. So as not to break the established pattern, her soup had no seasonings whatsoever and very little salt. I plan to work on it tomorrow to make it palatable. She also informed me that Madluba planned to hold her two-day conference beginning on Monday and had asked if I could help out. That’s the same day I’m supposed to return to the PedInst and might not want to extend my absence much more. Caroline is notifying the embassy tonight of her resignation effective March 1.

Nilufar then knocked on the door bearing yet another platter, this time with plov for me to have for dinner. Caroline had had dinner at Madluba’s and I had eaten a piece of the flat bread with raspberry jam and could not stomach the idea of any more food. It should be really good for lunch tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment