Wednesday, June 20, 2012


June 15, 2012
The noise level must abated some for I was able to sleep on and off until 8:00am. I made coffee using the new espresso one I had purchased the night before and enjoyed a delicious mug of java all by myself. Valerie didn’t get up until ten and then we talked nonstop about our colleagues, embassy people and other subjects matters. I toasted the kolcha and had some cheese with it  along with a cup of cafĂ© con leche.

Valerie showed a walking tour featured on her Lonely Planet guidebook and offered to show me the beginning of it so I could continue the rest by myself. When I raised the issue of having access to a key for the apartment, she seemed reluctant to do so alleging she’d never done one, but suggested we could just agree to meet back at the apartment at a specific time.  We walked several blocks and came upon the Ramstore she had mentioned numerous times where ex-pats like her could find all sorts of American groceries labeled “Shop Rite” as if coming from the New Jersey chain of supermarkets. The store had an impressive array of groceries and household goods and we were both delighted to find Red Mill muesli mix in one of the aisle, which although expensive by U. S. standard, $7.00-8.00, was a great option for me for breakfast and we both purchased a package.

We walked past the impressive building housing the national museum, for which there are no English explanations for anything on exhibit,  a very fancy hotel, The Dostyk, swarming with guests, and numerous parks. Once back at the apartment, Valerie said she intended to go to her university to clarify some issue or another, but then changed her mind and decided to visit a friend who lives nearby to use her Internet connection as she hadn’t ordered one for herself yet. I stayed behind reading for a while.  Upon her return, we walked to the all-wood cathedral I had read about in the book and found it to be magnificent with its multicolored roof and multiple facades, each more intricate than the last. It reminded a lot of similar houses found in Savannah, GA. The building is located within a huge urban park where families were strolling and couples could be seen holding hands.

Valerie’s former landlord was expected to come by to collect payment for the utilities left unpaid and thus we returned to the flat not before I stopped at another supermarket and bought a piece of fried fish and some pickled salad, this time eggplant, to go with it. The total came up to a little more than $9.00. I shared the salad with Valerie, as she had chosen to eat some lentil stew she had cooked sometime ago, had some juice and prepared for bed. I plan to strike on my own tomorrow and see the city on my own terms even if I get entirely lost doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment